“Creamy” Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3-8 hours
1 c. multi-color wild rice blend, uncooked*
1 small white onion, roughly chopped
3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
12 oz. fresh mushrooms, washed, divided
1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, undrained**
1 whole bay leaf
2 t. garlic powder
6-8 c. vegetable stock, divided
Salt and black pepper, to taste
½ c. full-fat coconut milk
¼ c. fresh parsley, finely chopped
Tip: For less salt, rinse and drain the beans before pureeing them.
- Rinse the wild rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Let drain and transfer to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to a food processor and pulse until very finely minced and transfer to slow cooker crock.
- Add 2/3 of the mushrooms to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Thinly slice remaining mushrooms and add to slow cooker pot, along with the finely chopped mushrooms.
- Add cannellini beans and a little water to food processor and puree until smooth. Pour into slow cooker crock with other ingredients. Add bay leaf, garlic powder, and 6 cups of vegetable stock. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8. Actual cooking time will varying by individual slow cooker, so check for doneness after 2½ hours (or 5½ hours for low) and adjust cooking time accordingly. (The rice should be tender, but not mushy, when finished).
- When cooking time is complete, remove bay leaf and discard. Add coconut milk, chopped parsley, and additional vegetable stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency.