Spicy Sweet Corn Chowder
Use extreme caution when blending hot liquids as they can explode. Cool
slightly and make sure the lid to your blender is properly ventilated before
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
4 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
5 c. organic vegetable stock
2½ lbs. Russet potatoes, chopped
5 ears sweet corn, kernels only
1 T. fresh oregano
2 t. ground cumin
1 bay leaf
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
½ c. almond or full-fat coconut milk
Optional: fresh chives to garnish
- Thoroughly wash all vegetables and pat dry before prepping. Potatoes peels can be left on or removed according to personal preference.
- Heat olive oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add chopped celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper to skillet. Sauté for several minutes, stirring continually, until vegetables are soft and fragrant.
- Pour vegetable stock into skillet and add potatoes, sweet corn, oregano, cumin, and bay leaf. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until heated through and potatoes are tender, approximately 20 minutes. Stir occasionally while cooking.
- Transfer 3-4 cups of soup mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (See safety tip above first!). Pour pureed soup mixture back into skillet and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Stir almond or coconut milk into the skillet. Stir to combine and simmer another 5-10 minutes to heat through. Remove bay leaf and serve immediately. Enjoy!