Chicken with Pecorino Cream Sauce
Romano is a well-known and distinctive Tuscan cheese made from 100% sheep’s
milk. It is sometimes used interchangeably in recipes with the milder
Parmesan. However, due to Pecorino’s stronger flavor profile, this isn’t really
an ideal swap.
Here, the stronger flavor of Pecorino Romano is balanced with an equal amount of Parmesan to create a flavorful cream sauce that isn’t overwhelming. Of course, the ratio of Pecorino to Parmesan can be easily adjusted up or down to suit individual tastes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
time: 20-25 minutes
lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
4-5 large cloves garlic, smashed
¾ c. half and half
1 c. chicken broth, preferably organic
2 t. dried oregano
1/3 c. Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated
1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
½ c. sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1½ c. baby spinach
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Place chicken breasts between two layers of plastic wrap and pound with
a meat mallet or rolling pin to a uniform thickness. Discard plastic and
transfer chicken to a clean work surface. Cut into bite-sized pieces and set
2. Heat olive oil and garlic in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high
heat. Sauté garlic for several minutes until golden brown. Remove garlic with a
slotted spatula and discard.
3. Add chicken to hot skillet and cook until golden brown on each side,
approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Season with salt and black pepper, to
taste. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
4. Add half & half and chicken broth and scrape up any brown bits from
the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Add oregano and grated cheese to skillet
and whisk until cheese is completely melted approximately 3-4 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to just below medium and add sun-dried tomatoes and baby
spinach. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tomatoes are
softened and the spinach wilts.
6. Add chicken and its juices back to skillet and simmer for another 3-5 minutes, or until chicken is heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Remove from heat and serve immediately with a side of Tuscan White Beans.