A Learning Community with Candi Broeffle
In Solidarity: A Learning Community is for people committed to doing the work of anti-racism. Members meet weekly to listen, learn, unlearn, and lean into the parts of our history and culture rooted in white supremacy. This is an opportunity for members to take responsibility for their foundational racial education without burdening People of Color.
In this eight-week session, participants will begin by watching and discussing the Netflix documentary 13th, which explores the intersection of race, justice, and mass incarceration in the United States. This will be followed with the book How to be an Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi.
This particular group will meet on Wednesdays at 7:00 pm via Zoom. This eight-week session will begin on July 15th. A Zoom link will be sent to you prior to the first session.
In Solidarity will go beyond the traditional book club to include research and presentations of policy changes, proposed legislation, the platforms of local political candidates, and more. Groups will be encouraged to support local anti-racism and inclusivity events. All participants will be invited to join a private Facebook group to encourage connection with people throughout the learning community.
What You Need
- A copy of How to be an Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi (physical, electronic or audio copies all work)
- Access to a computer or smart device with Wi-Fi to access the Zoom Meeting - these meetings will be better if you can attend with your camera on, as we will be breaking up into small groups during the calls. Zoom meeting
- Kickoff: Wednesday, July 15 at 7:00 pm CST
- Regular Meetings: Wednesdays at 7:00 pm CST
- All the following dates: July 22, 29, Aug. 5, 12, 19, 26, Sept. 2
All discussions will be recorded and posted if you are unable to attend. Group is limited to 10 people.
Date & Time
Weekly on Wednesday
Jul 15, 2020 through Sep 02, 2020
7:00PM - 8:00PM