Natural Tips for Oral Health: Mindful Whole-Body Health Starting from the Top
Mar 30, 2020 08:00AM
By Amy Truong
Holistic dentistry is about seeing you as a whole person. It combines conventional dental care with holistic health to guide you towards dental wellness. Here are some holistic tips for keeping you healthy between dental visits:
- Natural Toothpastes: Try naturally derived toothpastes and mouthwashes with xylitol by companies such as Boka or Jason's.
- Oil Pulling: Draw out toxins to improve mouth and overall health with oil pulling. Swish one teaspoon of coconut oil in your mouth daily for three to 20 minutes. Spit out in trash (as it may clog sinks).
- Tender gums or bleeding? Here’s a recipe for an easy saltwater rinse: ¼ tsp. salt in 4 oz. of warm water. Swish for 20 seconds and spit it out.
- You are what you eat and it goes for your mouth health too! Eat a healthy diet, rich in nutrients like calcium, Vitamin D and Vitamin C.
- Don't forget the basics. Brushing two times daily and flossing daily are still the best preventative non-medicines.
- Say no to sugar. Stop indulging the bacterium in your mouth by reducing sugars and starches in your diet.
- Got bad breath? Double check that you're using breath mints sweetened with xylitol. Fun Fact: Xylitol helps prevent tooth decay.
Tips courtesy of Dr. Amy Ha Truong, Pure Dental, where they combine conventional and holistic
health to guide patients towards dental wellness. They take pride in
providing each patient with the individual attention needed by practicing
high-quality care dentistry using the most up-to-date technology and
continually seeking educational opportunities to ensure they remain abreast of
the latest techniques and treatment options in holistic and family dental care.
Now accepting new patients.
Dental is located at 6230 10th St. N, Ste. 520, Oakdale. For more information
and appointments, call 651-731-3064 and/or visit PureDentalmn.com.